Monday, February 15, 2010
I made another cut yesterday using a new shape-strategy: instead of a rectangle, I made a key-shape with the hope that I could get the ice to sit on top of the surface and have part of submerged into the water. Nothing very impressive happened, for the following reasons:
-the lock mechanism is mangled from the last cut
-the piece of ice broke....almost the same way one would snap a key off in a lock
However I did take some interesting photos of the effects that occur with the water and ice as it toggles between 2D and 3D. And for whatever reason there was lots of pressure under the ice this time, which spewed about 2-1/2 inches of water on the surface once I drilled through to connect the chain. This made a nice glassy surface between the the top of the ice, the hole, and the floating pieces.
My plan now is to spend some time making a new lock that will work consistently.